How to open a Fruit and Vegetable Store
The Fruits and Vegetables business is one of the most stable within the food sector. Despite the influence of large surfaces Fruits and Vegetables continue to be bought mostly in the traditional fruit stores.
If you want to introduce yourself in this sector, you need to take into account a number of aspects.
- Initial capital to start the business.
- Tenacity and willingness to learn the peculiarities of the business.
- A place equipped for the activity to be developed.
- Suppliers that supply you with the product you are going to sell.
Is EXPERIENCE necessary in the sector?
It is not essential. However, you should not risk creating your fruit and vegetable company without a good initial accompaniment. To be successful, you must know the particularities of the business and for that, YES, it is essential to advise professionals in the sector who will guide you in your first months of activity.
WHAT DO I NEED to open the store?
In addition to the premises, there is an essential equipment for the proper functioning of a greengrocer. Among this, the following elements stand out:
- Furniture to expose the product (tables and shelves adapted)
- Counter / is for collection.
- Scales to weigh the product.
- Cash register and / or POS (Point of Sale Terminal)
- Cold room for products that require it.
- Supports for prices.
- Own decoration of the store.
- Consumables: bags, etc.
- First Product purchase.
In addition, it is important to have a good Gestoría to process all the procedures: Opening licenses, high IAE, incorporation or autonomous company registration, business accounting, liquidations with the Treasury, rental contract, supplies (Water, Electricity, etc.).
How much MONEY do I need to start?
- In Cobarna Fruits we advise prudence in the investment to be made. The m2 of the room, the style, the decoration or the furniture that you choose, can vary considerably the investment to be made.
- If you let yourself be advised by our Team of Professionals, 15-20,000 € They should be enough to cover the first needs of your business.
- You must also have a small capital of your own to face the contingencies and payment commitments of the first months, until your business stabilizes.
LOCAL: How many m2 should you have? How do I choose it? In what location?
- There are fruit shops of very different sizes that work perfectly, however, we recommend a minimum of 70m2 to achieve a good exposure and with it, the corresponding sale.
- This type of business does not require special features, but it is important that it is well located (as close as possible to schools, markets, public transport, shopping centers with pedestrian access, etc.)
- In Cobarna Fruits we can help you in your search.
How do I guide myself to set the PRICES?
The allocation of prices is your competence and it depends on the products, however, you will always have the help and guidance of Cobarna Fruits
With what MARGINS works?
- Not all products have the same margin, however, the average fluctuates over 30 and 40% over the purchase price.
- When working with perishable products, deterioration losses inevitably occur that can range from 3 to 5% of the merchandise purchased.
How many PEOPLE do I need in the store?
You can not establish a specific figure since it will depend on factors such as the m2 of the store, the number of customers you have, the hours you set, etc.
What opening HOURS should I have? Should I open at noon?
- The wider the opening hours to the public, the more possibilities for sale.
- Your own experience, depending on the location and the type of clientele you have will determine the best opening and closing hours.
ORDERS How do I know what I should buy?
- In Cobarna Fruits, through your Commercial Team and / or our internal SAC (Commercial Service), we will help you in the realization of your first orders, taking into account both the quantity and the variety of the range to be available.
- In addition, in each order we will inform you about the seasonal products, the offers and the indicative prices of each of the references.
TRANSPORTATION Will the gender be brought to the store?
Cobarna Fruits supplies the product directly to your store.
TRAINING Do I have to know the characteristics of fruits and vegetables to start?
The more you know about the product you sell, the better you can advise your customers and the more satisfied they will feel. However, a thorough knowledge is not necessary to keep your customers satisfied, provided that it is accompanied by a good product offer and good customer service.
SUPPORT Who can I count on to help me start my business?
- At COBARNA FRUITS we have a team of highly qualified professionals and extensive experience in the sector.
- All our Team will turn over FROM THE FIRST MOMENT so that your project becomes a reality.